The Genesis Elves Save Christmas

The Genesis Elves helping the Township of Langley save their decorations from the Mouldy Monster that can be storage.

Be sure your decorations are stored in a dry space.

8 Dec | No replies

Holiday Home Hazards

Tis The Season!!  Lights, Decorations, the perfect Christmas tree. But did you know that holiday related accidents are significantly increased during the Holiday Season.

Fires increase by 18%

Fire-related injuries increase by 24%

Property losses increase by 7%

Over 8,000 people are treated in the emergency room for falls, cuts and shocks, related to holiday decorations, lights and Christmas trees.

Here are some safety tips for the Holiday Season.  We want it to be filled with nothing but Joyous Events.

Christmas Tree

  • When purchasing a live tree test for freshness. Very few needles should fall off when tree is tapped on the ground. Needles should bend not break
  • Artificial trees should be labeled Fire Resistant
  • Do not set your tree up near a heat source. This will dry out the tree very rapidly
  • It should never block a doorway
  • Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens
  • Remove live trees after 10 – 14 days. After that amount of time, even the freshest tree will start to dry out

Decorations

  • Always choose decorations that are Flame-retardant, non-combustible and non-conductive
  • if there are small children or pets in the home avaoid very small decorations
  • Avoid using angel hair together with spray-on snow. This combination is highly combustible

Lights

  • Use only CSA certified light sets
  • Turn off all tree and display lights before retiring for the night or leaving the house
  • use proper lights for the environment. Indoor light sets should not be used outdoors and some outdoor sets burn too hot for indoor use.
  • Inspect sets before use to ensure there are no cracked bulbs, frayed, broken or exposed wiring. Discard if faulty
  • Use no more than 3 standard sets of lights per extension cord. Do not overload wall outlets
  • Inserts plugs fully into outlets. poor contact may cause overheating or shock

Fireplace

  • Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, or cartons in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate too much heat
  • Do not hang stockings from the mantle when fireplace is in use
  • Always use a screen to protect against flying sparks
  • Never leave fire unattended
  • Clean ashes regularly
  • Do not use Christmas trees for firewood

From everyone at GENESIS RESTORATIONS

1 Dec | No replies